Thursday, October 13, 2011

Why You Bleepity-Bleep!...And Another Thing... Bleep-Bleep!

"You know..." is how my dad would begin his statements when we asked him something that he would rather not answer or it was going to be some really deep philosophical ideology to get us not to ask him so much stuff again. Many times he would use humor and it would be those times that I retained his words. But when he was angry, I mean really angry, expletives flew. He never used the "f" word and the "c" word was actually vile, but everything else was fair game when he was angry and most of the time, when we weren't around. He curbed his language drastically when it was reported that we used the same words with each other when we thought we were alone (without parents in the vicinity).

One time when I was in the 6th grade, I heard a girl tell a guy after annoying her, to go screw a tree. The other kids started laughing and I thought, not knowing what "screw" meant, that it wasn't cursing and it got the same horror along with the laughter that profanity got. So when I got home, I couldn't wait to say the same thing to my brother, who was eventually going to get on my nerves later the same day. It would seem all he lived for. Once the phrase came from my lips, I felt rather proud of myself, not having said a curse word but having my brother put his hand across his mouth and gasping at how dare I say such a thing in Leonard L. Brown's house. He had that, ooooh-you-are-going-to-be-in-so-much-trouble look. Then I got scared because he was definitely going to tell. I had nothing to negotiate with and Dad was going to be home soon. Mom was right there - tell her! But no. He walked around me with this sneer anticipating my dad's arrival. I had to play like it was no big deal and convince myself as well. It wasn't like I said "heck", which incidentally, did not go over too well when I got angry. Dad came home and did his proverbial grunt placing his brief case at the door and loosening his shirt out from his pants to relax for the evening. Going over to the couch, he loosened his boots and took the garters off that kept the military fatigues up on his calves. His next move after about 10-15 minutes, was to get up with boots in hand to his walk in closet and change clothes for dinner. It was his regular routine. We usually greeted him at the door with a hug but when we didn't, he knew something was up but never asked what it was. I recall my brother waited until after dinner when he was quiet and reading his paper. I was hoping he forgot about it. I was in my room playing records or something when I heard that voice, "LENORA!" I do have a family nickname that is often used. In fact, it was used so often I didn't know what my birth name was until I was registered for school. A shiver went through my body and I immediately got up and ran to the living room where the first face I saw was my snickering brother. Oh-oh, this was not good. I then came closer in the room and saw the grimace on both of my parents' face. My dad asked me what did I say to my brother. I repeated the phrase. His grimace did not leave. He then asked me what "screw" meant. I said, "I don't know." I really didn't know and my dad believed me. He asked where I picked that up from. I told him. Still the grimace didn't leave his face. It was apparent that what I said was as vile as the"c" word. He told me never to say it again and I never did. The sound of his voice when he called me and the displeasure on his face was all the punishment I needed.

Profanity should not be a point in discussion because it is just too obvious for a believer not to use (2 Timothy 2:15-16 KJV). Come on, we know better. We are to speak good things (Matthew 12:33-35 AMP). Never is there a time to use profane language as a believer of Christ destined to live in abundance forever (John 3:16 AMP). Would our language change that destiny? Well, the Word tells us in the Old Testament that God will bless those that bless you and curse those that curse you (Genesis 12:3 AMP). Though you are reading this and can maintain confidence in it, so are other members in the body of Christ that are not so obvious to detect that they belong to Him as well. Therefore, it would be in your best interest to curtail such vile words whether you think the recipient of such language deserves it or not.

Yet beyond what we know is obvious, there are still obscenities that some speak where God would not find pleasure in. These obscenities oppose the Word of God and are so often used, we consider them almost cliches. In a previous blog entry, I listed somethings that are commonly said; however, it barely scratches the surface. This blog is suppose to answer the question, is that all there is? The answer is no, but when we speak in words that oppose the very guide by which we live, then we hinder the blessing we have grown accustomed to having. Here are some common practices that some have done and need to get out of the habit of doing:
1. Looking in the mirror and expressing dissatisfaction with the image (Genesis 1:26 KJV).
2. Making it more important to express what you are feeling (James 1:19 KJV).
3. Justifying your misbehavior when you wouldn't accept the same behavior done towards you (Matthew 7:3-5 KJV).
4. Impatience with those that have less then what you have (James 2:2-4 AMP).
5. Speaking that your finances are less then what you would like for them to be (Philippians 4:19 KJV).
6. Asking why whosoever is blessed and you aren't or that he/she is more blessed then you (Proverbs 23:17, Galatians 5:25-26, James 3:16 KJV) .
7. Trying to be accepted or seeking man's approval (Galatians 2:19 MSG).
8. Complaining (1 Peter 4;8-10 AMP).
9. Minimizing sin nature because repentance and grace is in your back pocket (Galatians 6:7-8 AMP).
10. Allowing past transgressions to rule the present (1 John 1:9 AMP).
As you can see what is listed, obscenities don't necessarily have to be profanity and yet in the eyes of the Lord can be just as profane. The grimace that my dad had on his face because I used language that he did not teach me is the same analogy to be used with you and our Heavenly Father. It is His good pleasure when He finds us in prosperity, yet this cannot happen when we continue to put obstacles in the way of the blessing (Luke 12:31-33 AMP).

God walked with Adam in the garden. Can you imagine Him resting in a place that He was familiar with because He created it. Then Adam does something outside from what He taught His son. He asked Adam where are you (Genesis 3:9)? Why would He ask Adam this? Because Adam did something outside of righteousness and now he changed the image that was given to him. God asked Adam, who told you were naked (Genesis 3:11)? Why did He ask Adam this? Because it was foreign language. It was obscene. God did not give that to him. Has any obscenities spoken took you out of the blessing, off the path that you were on, away from His presence? Being made in His image to speak the removal of mountains is powerful no less powerful to also create mountains and other obstacles to hinder our own progress. What say you?

No comments: