Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Voice

The world has either a gut feeling or women's intuition. I have heard of warning signs and the proverbial red flags to tell them of danger or when to run. The world uses experimentation, process of elimination, theories, and hypothesis to establish some sort of sense in the environment by which they choose to live. If listened to long enough, I suppose one would think it could make some sort of sense. I recall not so long ago when the theory of evolution was just that - a theory! Recently, I heard a relatively seemingly intelligent woman have a discussion with a group of women about the fact of evolution and anyone believing otherwise is an idiot. I waited for rebuttal from the other women and it was more like mumbling amongst themselves rather than a loud voice as she felt assured to have her say. It was bothersome.

Not being of the world but in the world because we are a peculiar nation having chosen life, we know not to ask for signs to see that which we should have faith in (John 20:29 AMP). It is impossible to please God without faith (Hebrews 11:6 KJV). Asking God to give us a sign would mean that faith is just not enough and we need to see some evidence right now in order for our faith to be at work. That would be the antithesis of faith or don't you see that? Therefore, amongst other things, God has given us this inward witness by which we hear Him. Some say it is an audible voice while others believe it is an internal knowing. Which ever the case, it is necessary to know that it must be tested to know that what is being heard is actually the truth.

There are some basic truths we know in hearing His voice. It is our safe guard so we won't have to ask for signs to believe and won't be fooled by every wind of doctrine:
1. Whatever God tells us will not be contradictory of His word.
2. He would not give a partial verse for us finish it on our own.
3. He will not answer a question with a question.
4. His voice will exhort, edify, and comfort.
5. His voice will not compromise your ethics, values, morals, or Spiritual rectitude.
6. His voice will stand the test.

While some believers claim they don't have this inward witness that they have heard others speak of nor do they hear an audible voice, God still speaks. You just have to be aware where and when He is speaking to you. For instance, I wrote about a couple of women. One is my co-worker while the other is a resident at my place of employment. Both worked odd hours and had families to care for as well. With the schedules they had, everything else became the priority and their health was secondary. Neither of the women felt it necessary to stop and rest or have the time to take a vacation. They had mouths to feed and extended family members they had to care for. There just wasn't time. One woman had a massive heart attack while the other had a stroke. It took months for them to rehabilitate and get back on their feet. They took the time for themselves now. They get plenty of rest now. I heard the voice of God even though when both of the women told me their stories, they didn't tell it to me as a warning for me to slow down, yet the inward witness did. I heard their words and what they weren't saying was God speaking.

Another example was when I was in high school. My brother adored Science class and when he advanced to Chemistry there was this teacher where her reputation proceeded her. She expected the best out of everyone that passed through the threshold of her classroom... well, that's how my brother perceived her harsh manner of teaching. I heard one student asked her a question and her reply was, "aw honey child, you should have learned that in elementary school." She never did answer that student's question. Another time I heard her tell a class, "I got mine. you've got to get yours." The rumors intimidated me so I made it my assignment to do whatever I needed to in order for me not to have her class. I got through the entire four years without having her as a teacher. I would see her from time to time in the hallway and she would look at me as if she was wondering why she hadn't seen me in any of her classes. While I passed her in the hall, I would smirk. Later when finishing college, I thought about that teacher and the things she said. Why would a grown woman say those things to children? She went to school to be a teacher and make a difference not to be a bully. Then I realized that she might have been intimidated by them. What if she got a student that was brilliant and had a question that she couldn't answer? She had to lay the ground work of fear so that couldn't happen. What I heard without her saying it was that she didn't like her job. She didn't like children. She liked to be respected no matter if it was through fear. It was a life lesson for me to enjoy the full extent of my life and not to fall into complacency without an out.

There are comedians that make jokes so they won't get depressed over their many faults. We laugh at those jokes because the faults are familiar to us. Yet at the same time, it could be the voice of God showing you that you are not alone. The bible tells men to learn from their forefathers and for the older women to tell the younger - does that happen? Do you see a seminars, retreats, or forums for men and young women? No one is beating down doors to tell of all of their many faults for others to learn from them. No one likes to hear their mistakes over and over again yet God said to do it. I heard an elderly woman tell of her family and how her sons treat her. It was shameful yet my first thought was, "how did she raise her sons to be so cruel?" She didn't believe she was cruel to them nor would she believe that she raised them incorrectly, yet her telling me what her sons did, taught me without her knowing it. Another woman was caring for her elderly mother. She has one grown son and said to me, "I wish I had a daughter. Sons don't take care of their parents in their old age." She continued to tell me of all she has been doing for her mother in caring for the estate. She inadvertently let slip as well that she didn't expect her mother to live this long. She was about to be 93. Having four sons of my own I continued to listen and watch what she did for her mother. One day I caught her grumbling about how much money it was costing to care for her mother, yet her mother had invested this money for her old age. It wasn't as if the daughter was spending her own money she just expected a sizable inheritance. When the doctor made visits to check the health of the elderly woman I overheard the daughter ask for a DNR to be put in place. Would a son ask for such a thing? And if her mother invested that money for her old age, would she also have put a DNR in place for herself. The daughter looked at me when she finished with the doctor. She didn't think I knew what she requested. I continued to listen and watch the life lessons that was being played before me.

The Word tells us that in the last days men will be lovers of themselves. Men would become intelligent able to predict the weather yet looking over the signs of the Lord's second coming. Yes, there is a voice and He speaks to us everyday whether it is an inward witness an audible or watching the scenes from everyday life. Our jobs is to be aware, stay alert, and keep on watch. Test everything until you are absolutely sure that it is right (1 John 4:1-3 KJV). He tells all what we need to know and that which is to come.

No comments: