Saturday, April 12, 2014

An Apple a Day...

I woke up one morning thinking of all I had to do before the end of the day. I do this most mornings.
Oddly, a feeling of dread came over me wanting to just stay in the bed. Now this part is going to sound strange. In my mind, I have a list of what I need to do. In my heart, I know if I don't do half of the list, I won't like the remainder of the day...and still that feeling of staying in the bed, when it has no part of my personality was looming. What was that? Where does it come from and why was it anywhere around me?

Some people think to forge ahead and do what it is you have to do while others think its God and they will stay in the bed. What I do is investigate so I won't have to deal with this thing again. I whole heartily believe what Jesus did was for my good and anything that is not good must be kept away... like that looming feeling for me to stay in the bed. Many days, I have to deliberately make up my mind to keep to that list in order to reach my short and long termed goals. Those times can make for a busy day but when making a list of all of those things to be done and spreading them throughout the week, at the end of the month ( a new list every Sunday) I am pleased with how much I have accomplished. I gather the lists at the end of the month (and year) and find how much closer I am in completing the goal or rejoicing that it is done. This is also true in other matters.

Have you ever worked or lived near a community of people that spoke a different language then the one you are use to? Sometimes you feel they are talking about you especially when you know they could speak your language if they wished to. Did you ever think about learning that language too. You know, in your spare time. If you learn one word everyday for a year, that's 365 words you didn't know and a few steps closer in being able to understand what is being said and actually have a conversation right back with them. It rids you of confusion, speculation, and most of all - error.

Why not? Why won't we make that effort? We do it when it comes to our health...well, most of us do. We take vitamins and minerals for prevention. We exercise and control our diets for optimization of health.  We take medications that have been prescribed so we won't return to ill health. So why not make an effort to do other things that can give ourselves more of an advantage? Its not like we can't do it! And actually, these days, people see those that speak more then one language as being super smart. Its not that hard, All it takes is discipline.

Wait is that the culprit? When I realized that the Word of God is the key for the abundant life He offers to those that believe, I was all over it learning all I needed to about my Lord and Savior. Just when I think I got it down, I hear another portion of a sermon and am surprised at how much more there is. Yet, its always refreshing. Its like a treasure trove that hasn't been tapped into yet. How do you think I get all of this material to write? It took some doing to change habits for me to pray and study the Word. The flesh would have me to be an illiterate....but God. It wasn't as hard once I made up my mind to do it and isn't that the definition of a disciplined person? Now all I need to do is harness this same discipline to get my waist back into the 20's again.

It used to be said when I was a child, that an apple a day keeps the doctor away. Later, I heard to remember the ABC's and you will stay healthy. Those ABC's being, apples, beets, and celery. If juiced and consumed every morning, one would either stay healthy or maintain health. Could this be true with spiritual health and the Word? What are you believing for? Have you found the corresponding verse in the Word of God? Have you said it everyday? Why not try saying, God loves me everyday, before you leave your home. After 365 days, there should be a change within you or around you. How can something so simple do so much? Comment on the changes you have experienced below this time next year.... that is, if the Lord tarries.

As for that feeling of dread looming the moment you try to get out of the bed, I had to ask myself, "did I rest anytime this week?" When I know that I haven't, I answered the original question of why. Being the righteousness of  God through Christ Jesus and it being one of the ingredients to Kingdom Life, I know dread has no part of that and has no business being around me (Romans 14:17 KJV). So it has to be something I have done or have neglected to do. Even under a new dispensation, as Christians we are accountable for our actions. We are presenting these bodies as a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1 AMP). God tells us to be thou holy for He is holy (1 Peter 1:16 AMP). How holy is it for us to work 24 hours a day - 7 days a week when He didn't do it (Genesis 2:2 AMP)? Do you see yourself greater then God? To what purpose are you working so hard? Those efforts will cause you ill health and without asking for forgiveness or changed behavior, deliverance waits. All of your efforts in working so hard will be for nothing.

There are 52 weeks in a year. 52 of those days out of that one year are meant for you to rest. If you find it difficult to do at the end of the week, take 4 days off at the end of the month or 24 days off at the end of 6 months. There are means for you to be pleased with completing goals while keeping your mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual health. This will keep dread away and continued satisfaction in the Lord.

No comments: