Thursday, October 18, 2012

Make Up Your Mind!

I have joined several Christian groups on Facebook and for the most part, I check in to see if there is an interesting conversation or question posed. Most of the groups aren't doing anything but compiling members. One or two have some finding scripture, posting it, and then waiting to see how many "likes" they receive. I give the groups a few months to see what comes of them, I even ask a question to see if there are any responses. Without a response and seeing how old my question gets, determines how long  I remain a member.

On one of the groups, my questions are rarely ignored. I asked one concerning my sister. She asked me for some advice but when I gave it to her, she became annoyed stating, "I didn't ask for a minister, I asked my sister. Why can't you talk like a normal person?" I was shocked to say the least. Treading on eggshells, I replied, "that's what I would say to anyone who asked me the same thing even if they wanted to know what I would do in the same situation." That response upset her even more.

The questions asked in the various Christian groups seem to also be a slippery slope. Those asking may not be Christian yet they choose a Christian venue to get answers. I was reading some of the questions asked and tried not to answer them. I read some of the answers, most of which were actually good yet others needed another question to explain what they were referring to. I posed the question about my sister on the site knowing that there would be a lot of readers and only the select few would venture to answer. Again, surprise is what I got when someone agreed with my sister.

Its not that I can't take criticism, I welcome it through introspection so I can be what God calls me to be (Proverbs 4:26 AMP). However, if you can dish it out, be ready for the questions that come right after so I can have a complete understanding of the critique (Proverbs 4:7 KJV). The "middle of the road" philosophy has been spotted with other associates of mine. In conversation, I noticed that certain behaviors can be overlooked and holy is used as the band-aid to cover rather then changing the behavior. For instance, we all know fornication is wrong in the sight of God; yet, if the relationship is headed toward marriage anyway, then....well, it'll be alright (1 Corinthians 6:18 KJV). Really? This sort of thinking is often without correction and considered socially acceptable. When did societal norms become acceptable in the church (Romans 12:2 AMP)?

A married minister was leading the congregants in prayer. Before the actual prayer, he caught the eye of one of the single ladies and winked at her. The Senior Pastor was told. He said, "well Minister Such and So has come a long way from where he used to be in that other ministry. It was just a wink." Services continued without a hic-cup, a dismissal, or a reprimand - nothing. Later, that same single lady was caught with other married men in the same ministry.

In finally reading some of the answers to my question and answering questions in their comments, one of the answers was what got me to write this post. To paraphrase what was written by one of the members: We all can write  a religious answer but lets just be real for once. What does that mean?

Religion is obtaining the textbook knowledge and using it as lip service. When you can use that knowledge and believe it for practical application in your life - that's Kingdom Living. Its obtaining the truth, retaining it, and living it. Answering questions with God in mind so He can be pleased (1 John 3:22 KJV).

When I talk, it is just the same as how I write (Colossians 4:6 AMP). When reading this blog, I try my best to make it easy and simple to understand (Proverbs 23:23 AMP). The foundation of the ideas is in the parenthesis with the Word highlighted and linked to the text so the reader will see I am using the only truth that faith filled believers have. We are to be like Christ, hence the name Christ-ians! How more real can that be?

No comments: