Saturday, March 29, 2008

People Love A Good Murder Mystery

I am a writer, amongst other things, and I have been writing since grade school. When my poem was put up on the bulletin board for the whole class to read, I was actually surprised when they went to read it. I think about that now and again to know what to write should be interesting to the masses rather than a handful who like to read or are academically seeking a challenge.

I also remember when talking to a medical therapist, she conveyed to me that many people like a murder mystery. Not having any experience in that genre, I took what she said and placed it on the shelf of my mind until it would be of some use.

About 10-15 years ago, there was a rash of murders that were focused on children. Three of them had stayed on my mind for quite some time, though there were others. Recently, I thought about writing those 3 and when I began 4 more came to mind. So I started outlining all 7 to be a book of short stories. But there was a problem that bothered me about writing this. What purpose would it serve in the body of Christ?

Aside from detectives, police officers, and reporters, what purpose would a believer have to read about murder? We know that it is something we don't do. So why would any of us (excluding the aforementioned) think on such a thing (Philippians 4:8 AMP).

I had already outlined 5 of the 7 when it didn't make sense to write them. We strive to be in right standing with God knowing that temptation could be right around the corner or some test that would either cause us to rise in maturity or fall relying on the "old nature" than the Word. With that in mind, righteousness scriptures were brought to my recollection and it is what I took heed to. For in righteousness there is life and in the pathway thereof there is no death (Proverbs 12:28 AMP).

The effects of righteousness is quietness and assurance forever (Isaiah 32:17 AMP). The murders of those children had disturbed me for a little while. It is probably why I thought to write about it. But if the little that was known and reported bothered me that much, how much more would affect the members in the body of Christ after reading the literary license to fill in what the reporters didn't speak of? It would be what I speculated rather than fact. And with that I recall from the Word, the heart of the righteous studies to answer, the mouth of the wicked poureth out evil things (Proverbs 15:28 AMP). That which is hidden will come to light ( 1 Corinthians 4:5 AMP), there is no need for me to write and speculate about such matters. It is a care belonging to the Lord (1 Peter 5:7 AMP).

No comments: